Expired Rental Agreement for Passport

An expired rental agreement is an issue that many tenants face when applying for a new passport. This can be a stressful situation, as a valid rental agreement is one of the key documents required to obtain a passport. In this article, we will look at what an expired rental agreement is, and what steps tenants can take to rectify the situation.

What is an expired rental agreement?

A rental agreement is a legally binding agreement between a landlord and a tenant, which outlines the terms and conditions of the rental agreement. When the rental agreement expires, it means that the tenant no longer has the right to occupy the property, and the landlord is under no obligation to renew the agreement.

However, an expired rental agreement does not necessarily mean that the tenant has moved out of the property. If the tenant continues to occupy the property after the rental agreement expires, they are considered to be a “holdover tenant,” and the terms of the original rental agreement continue to apply.

How does an expired rental agreement affect passport applications?

When applying for a passport, one of the important documents that applicants are required to submit is a valid rental agreement. The rental agreement should show the applicant’s name, address, and the date the agreement was signed. If the rental agreement has expired, it may not be accepted as valid proof of address by the passport office.

How to rectify the situation

If your rental agreement has expired, and you need to renew your passport, there are steps you can take to rectify the situation. The first step is to contact your landlord and request a new rental agreement. The new rental agreement should clearly state the start and end dates of the tenancy, as well as the rental amount and any other terms and conditions of the agreement.

If your landlord is unwilling or unable to provide you with a new rental agreement, you can consider other options. One option is to provide the passport office with other forms of proof of address, such as a utility bill or bank statement that shows your name and current address.

Another option is to obtain a letter from a responsible person who can vouch for your address. This could be a employer, a neighbor or a family member. The letter should be written on official letterhead, and clearly state your name, address, and the relationship between you and the person providing the letter.


An expired rental agreement can be a frustrating issue for tenants who need to renew their passport. However, by taking the appropriate steps, such as obtaining a new rental agreement or providing alternative forms of proof of address, tenants can rectify the situation and obtain the required documentation for their passport application. As always, it is important to work with your landlord and the passport office to ensure that all requirements are met in a timely manner.